Friday, March 7, 2008

Further Examination of Troy Maxson

I enjoyed the play Fences more than any other play we have read so far this year. Hamlet was pretty deep and intense at certain parts, but Shakespeare’s language was really confusing at certain parts and having to keep looking at the footnotes took away from the pleasure of reading the story. The major premise in A Doll’s House seemed trivial, but I have to acknowledge that the story took place many years before I was born and I am probably not fully acknowledging the difficulties of the time. Fences seems to be an authentic portrayal of the difficulties of some lives. No major event really happens in the story except for a family trying to survive which I guess can be considered a pretty big thing for most people. Everything in Fences revolves around Troy, and I think that I needed to take a closer look at his life and relationships.

My opinion on Troy changed throughout the novel. At the beginning, I thought he was a funny character just trying to do the best he can for his family. My disappointment in Troy grew after his stubbornness to let his son play football and his affair with Alberta. In order to get a better look at what he did in life, it is important to examine his own life. Troy had a terrible childhood. His father added no value to his life and probably brought about the cynicism Troy has towards the world. Because of his difficult upbringing, I try to compare Troy’s father to Troy to see how both situations turned out. Despite the different personalities, I am saddened by how similar a family situation Troy and his father have. While I believe Troy always had his families best interests at heart, his efforts did not bring about the type of success I think he would have liked to see. Like his father, he was unable to keep close bonds with his children. He was in jail during most of Lyons’s childhood and never seemed to give him due credit for his passion in music. Likewise he never has a great relationship with his other son Cory and eventually loses him after having a major argument. Even his relationship with his wife disintegrates though Troy is not nearly as cruel to his wife as his father was, and Rose turns out to be one of the stronger characters, staying with Troy even though she knows the marriage is hopeless. Troy gets duped into committing his brother to the hospital and does not live long enough to make a great impact in Raynell’s life.

Though Troy’s situation turns out to be somewhat tragic I applaud him for trying his best. He never had many opportunities in life due to his upbringing and he kept grinding it out. He stole for the sake of his family, and other times he worked hard to provide for his family. Everything he did for his Cory was with his best intentions in mind. Troy was scarred by the segregation he saw during his days in baseball and he just didn’t want his son to have to go through the same trials. Its easy to criticize him for being stubborn but the events he faced were probably significant enough to leave long term marks and its not as if racism didn’t exist. He tried to do the best he could for his brother, and I really believe that he did not understand what he was signing when he allowed his brother to be admitted. He must have been a great friend as well because Bono absolutely idolizes him, causing me to believe that there is plenty good about him. The biggest mistake I believe is the affair with Alberta. Everyone makes mistakes, but he was too stubborn to stop even after telling his wife and being confronted by his best friend. Again, he has probably had a more difficult life than anything I’ve ever faced so far, but he failed to realize that he wasn’t the only one facing a tough life. It may have been all Troy had to look forward to all week, but it also tore apart his family as Cory never had the same respect for his father and Rose only became a wife in name. Its amazing how that one decision impacted so many lives.

In the end, my opinion of Tony is relatively positive. He is far from perfect as can be seen through his many faults, but he tried to live his life the right way. However, my respect for Rose increases dramatically. In the beginning, I thought of her as a side character, but she turns out to be the strongest of them all from her ability to stay in the broken marriage to her raising of Raynell. The story may have been about Troy, but Rose makes the strongest impression on me.

(823)

5 comments:

LCC said...

Navigator--there's a whole cagtegory of literary characters, those whose actions we disapprove of but whose full presentation in the play or novel makes them more sympathetic than they otherwise would be. There was even an AP exam question based on that idea 30 years ago. Sounds like you would put Troy into that category, and I'm inclined to agree. Good post.

I'm not sure about one thing, though. I still can't tell if Troy was duped at the hospital or if he sold Gabe out and then claimed innocence.

Ivy said...

Rose was awesome, but my strongest impression was of how cool Gabe was (Lyons! King of the Jungle!)
I hadn't considered your take of Troy's getting "duped" into having Gabe committed. It seemed pretty intentional to me, but I suppose that's not necessarily true.

I sympathize with Troy some, but he's pretty twisted. His emotional range seems to be from really, really angry to smug and unapologetic. Circumstances do give him some leeway.

You had many deep thoughts in your post. I am envious.

Danni said...

Navdeep,

I agree that Troy has triumphed considering his situation however I do lose much respect for his affair with Alberta. He comments on how Rose is the best thing that has ever happened to hiim yet he throws her away. Rose stands by her man perhaps for psychological reasons we don't understand completely, like in the cases of Hillary, Spitzer's wife etc. Regardless, I respect Rose greatly.

Danni

Piper Gustafson said...

Hey Navdeep,

I thought the best part of your blog was what you said at the end, how Rose went from a side character to the one making the biggest impact. I got the same impression; she really was strong and selfless.

You also made a good point that while Troy wasn't perfect, he wasn't evil either. I was pretty bitter towards him, but I guess he really was just another man trying to get by.

Nice work!

-Pipes

Lauren Mattioni said...

I agree with you overall assessment of Troy as a man who makes many bad decisions because of patterns he developed throughout his difficult life. I do not see Troy's past as an excuse for his behavior but rather an explanation that allows the reader to understand him better since he is the central character.